August 17, 2007

A Huckabee Story: Nothing Crooked About Him

Someone sent the following story to a friend of ours after reading our post, Why We Support Mike Huckabee. We share it here:

I actually met Gov. Huckabee in 2002, when I was an intern in DC. He was the incoming president for the organization I served with -- Council of State Governments. The previous president was the Gov of Maryland, and he was one slick character. Not someone I'd want to be alone in a room with.

Gov. Huckabee comes in, greets everyone in the staff room by name (there weren't many, but these ladies were absolutely fawning) and then he gets to me and says, "I'm Mike Huckabee, I don't believe we've met." So introduce myself and we make chit-chat, and then he gets his registration materials and agenda and leaves. I looked at my boss, Cynthia, who managed the CSG office, and she said, "I honestly love that man. There's nothing crooked about him."

I had to smile -- Cynthia was this big, black gospel singer and she didn't like just anyone. But she was very intuitive, so when she smiled on Mike Huckabee, I had to, as well.

I had to smile -- Cynthia was this big, black gospel singer and she didn't like just anyone. But she was very intuitive, so when she smiled on Mike Huckabee, I had to, as well.

There were over 400 people attending this convention, and I was running interference for several organizations and making sure everything was going okay, and every time I saw Gov. Huckabee, he'd yell out, "How's it going, Kate? You hanging in there?" or "Keep it up, Kate!" Pretty soon he had his staff checking up on me -- which was amazing to be a college senior and have that response from some pros. But they would just grin when he'd start his chorus. That man knew everyone's name, it seemed.

I've been in ministry long enough to tell when someone has been coached to remember first names and greet people with details that they've shared with you, but this guy was genuine. One of my fondest memories was him calling Cynthia on to the stage on the last night -- Huckabee had a rock band at the time, formed of all civil servants like the State Auditor, etc., and he wanted Cyn to sing with them. This was no small thing, because Cynthia was awesome, but they got up there and rocked it.

So anyway, I've been keeping an eye on him and hoping he'll clean things up on the GOP side. Whoever said it in their list of quotes below had it right -- I think he's the only one who could take on Hillary and prevail. Not only that, but he'd do it with class, which is more than I could say for any other candidate on either side.

So if you talk to the boys, tell them Huckabee's had my vote for the past 5 years! ; )

2 comments:

Lisa said...

This is a great story, thanks for sharing it.

It is so true that Governor Huckabee is very personable and friendly. Everyone who meets him is impressed by his down to earth demeanor.

Rioni Unchained said...

Aye, that Maryland governor would be Parris Glendening. He was a rather snarky fellow, to be sure. We were fortunate enough to have Bob Ehrlich and Mike Steele for the four years after that -- but now it's back to Establishment Democrats.