December 17, 2007

New TV Spot: What Really Matters


So far, the ad is drawing rave reviews. Like this one, from Newsweek:
Andrew Romano: This might be the smartest ad of the cycle. For all the observers wondering how the candidates would manage the awkward holiday/caucus overlap, Huckabee delivers a master class.

The first step: beating his rivals to the "This Is No Time for Politics" punch; now every on-air attempt they make to topple the frontrunner from his above-the-fray pedestal looks tawdry.
And from the National Review Online:
Jim Geraghty: I don't think it's any big secret that I've got my gripes with Mike Huckabee, but his latest ad, going up tomorrow in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina, is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Everybody's been wondering how the campaigns can work and spread their message through the holidays without seeming Grinchy. This is one way that I think will work.

Rich Lowry: I agree with Jim here. I think it's simply brilliant, if for no other reason than that—like his Chuck Norris ad—it's different and it's going to cut through the clutter.

The more I think about it, that Huckabee ad may be the most subtly brilliant wedge ad ever. Per my e-mailer, it's bound to kick up a fuss, but in the ensuing fuss, Republican caucus-goers are going to side with Huckabee at least 80-20.

Mark Steyn: Rich, I think you're right: This "Merry Christmas" thing is ingenious. In essence, it's playing the secular media off against his GOP rivals in order to solidify his base. I'm no Huckabee fan but, like Peter, I think he's been amazingly nimble and very sophisticated... right now he's making these big-money consultant-led rivals look very arthritic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you happen to have a link to the transcript for this video? I am hearing impaired and I'd like to post the words on our site for myself and for other disabled folks to read as well. Thanks!

(I do really like the visuals ... i.e. a bookshelf in the background that looks interestingly just like a cross.) Very good "right"-brained stuff!

Domers for Huckabee
http://domersforhuckabee.net

Anonymous said...

I like how they used the white window sill in the background to represent the Holy Cross of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour. I wish he would have used his family too. It is important for Mike to use his family more and show what a wonderful family man he is. I believe him to be a blessed husband and a wonderful Christian father to his beautiful children. Thank God for Mr. Huckabee.

Anonymous said...

Vote for Mike

Do you agree with Ron Paul's characterization of Mike Huckabee, 'when fascism comes to this country, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross?


http://www.youpolls.com/details.asp?pid=1330


.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this video! It'll drive the media nuts! Way to go Mike!